Stay Safe on the James
The James River is a wonderful destination for recreation and enjoyment. Each year, thousands if not millions, of Virginians go to the James to boat, fish, swim, hike or just take in the beautiful scenery.
It is important to remember to take the proper safety precautions to ensure your experience on the river is fun and enjoyable. Check out the resources below to keep your safety a top priority and make the most of your journey on the James.
Here are some websites that can help you make sure your time on the river is healthy and safe:
- Virginia Department of Health summer heat and swimming safety
- Virginia Marine Resources Commission boating safety
- Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources boating safety
- American Whitewater Safety
- US Coast Guard recreational boating safety
River and Weather Conditions
Here are some websites that offer river and weather conditions to help you prepare for your next trip:
- James River Watch – water quality conditions from Memorial Day to Labor Day at swimming locations up and down the James.
- USGS Real-time streamflow data – scroll down the page for James River basin sites
- National Weather Service river forecasts – click on any river gauge for detailed forecast
- National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service – click on any river gauge for detailed conditions
- Swim Guide – conditions for Virginia’s beaches
- Richmond Outside Richmond Conditions