If hard, rewarding work is calling you …
Join our team to help protect and preserve Virginia’s most vital resource. Our staff works hard to nurture the James, enjoy the James, and restore the river we love.
Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.John Lubbock
The James River Association is seeking a part time contracted captain in the Lower James River areas (Richmond, Williamsburg, Hampton Roads), able to meet the following requirements:
- Interested in being a part of a growing education program that brings classes of students out on the James River to experience the river in a hands-on outdoor environment. Trips include water quality testing and fish trawls.
- Ability to safely and professionally operate 46’ vessel
- Be responsible for the safety of crew and passengers, and the condition of the vessel at all times.
- Able to give a thorough and engaging safety orientation
- Comfortable following rigorous safety protocols and participating in regular training sessions
- Ensure safety protocols are continuously followed by all crew and passengers
- Ability to monitor weather and water conditions and adapt program accordingly
- Maintain current USCG 25-ton Master of Inland Waters USCG Captain License
- Have FCC Marine Radio Operator’s Permit
- Possess First Aid & CPR Certification and ability to respond to medical incidents
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Have flexible availability – primarily weekdays
- Passionate about introducing students to the wildlife and ecosystem of the James River
- Physically fit (able to lift fifty pounds and work twelve hours) and willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Collaborative working style; ability to work with Lead Captain, all education staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds
- Willing to pass a criminal background check, provide a driving record and participate in pre-employment and random drug screening, in accordance with USCG requirements
- Compensation: $100 day fee + $25/hour
$100 day fee + $25/hour. This job does not offer paid time off, group medical insurance, or other benefits. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please contact Elysa Mills. EMills@jrava.org. 540.846.2089
The James River Association is seeking a part-time environmental educator to be based out of our Lynchburg office to lead education programs for elementary, middle, and high school students. This position will be responsible for organizing, scheduling, and coordinating educational programming within the Lynchburg area and will run from March 2019-November 2019 and February 2020-May 2020.
The Upper James River Environmental Educator will be an instrumental member of the education team in the Lynchburg area and will be responsible for booking, scheduling, and coordinating education programs with teachers and schools. This position will be required to facilitate field-based educational programming in the Lynchburg area, will help with grant proposal writing and quarterly reporting to secure necessary financial support for education program implementation, and will work to facilitate four weeks of summer camp in the Lynchburg area. The schedule of this position will include fluctuating hours with some night and weekend work.
This position will be compensated at an hourly rate of $13-$16 per hour, based upon experience.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
James River Association
Attn: Nat Draper
211 Rocketts Way, Suite 200
Richmond, VA 23231
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to applications received by February 15, 2019.