If hard, rewarding work is calling you …
Join our team to help protect and preserve Virginia’s most vital resource. Our staff works hard to nurture the James, enjoy the James, and restore the river we love.
Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.
Founded in 1976, the James River Association is the oldest and largest river conservation group in Virginia, and the only organization solely dedicated to protecting and restoring America’s Founding River, the James River. JRA’s mission is to be the guardian of the James River – to provide a voice for the river and take action to promote conservation and responsible stewardship of its natural resources. To accomplish our mission, JRA’s two strategic goals include: 1) Achieving a fully healthy James River; and 2) Helping communities within the watershed realize the benefits from a healthy James River and support protecting it.
Part-time Grant Writer
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a Part-time Grant Writer to be based at its headquarter office located at Rocketts Landing in Richmond, Virginia.
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a Part-time Grant Writer to provide oversight and administer all James Changer Campaign capital requests. JRA’s capital needs, as identified in our James Changer Campaign, totals approximately $8 Million. The successful candidate will have strong writing skills and initiative, be well-organized, have a demonstrated knowledge in corporate, private, and government foundations grants, and have an overall interest in issues affecting the James River. As the point person for JRA’s capital grant-based fundraising, the part-time Grants Writer will report to the Director of Development and will help provide leadership over the grant process to include researching prospects; drafting, editing, and coordinating proposals; and serving as the point of contact for those proposals written by this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the grant writing process for our capital projects, including drafting, editing, and submitting compelling letters of intent (LOIs) and proposals across the range of JRA’s watershed-wide capital projects to private and public foundations, corporations, and government funders.
- Develop, track, and manage the capital proposal development process in coordination with other JRA staff and especially with our current Senior Grants Manager.
- Develop a deep understanding of JRA capital projects and programs being offered at each of these project sites to inform LOIs, proposals, and reports. This includes meeting with JRA staff across all departments.
- Research, cultivate, and build relationships with potential funders that may or may not already be managed by the Senior Grants Manager.
- Track submission dates, report deadlines and requirements, grantor points of contact, and stewardship activities.
- Complete and submit reports to funders as well as other required paperwork.
- Track funding disbursement and develop financial reports.
- Maintain impeccable digital and hard-copy files of grant-related reference resources, including funder research files, grant application deadlines, grant reporting schedules, stewardship activities, and other information as needed – all in coordination with the Senior Grants Manager or other Grants related staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated skill as a writer and editor. Experience drafting grant proposals and reports is required.
- At least three years of work experience, including demonstrated effectiveness at fundraising, grant writing, and/or prospect research.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, ability to set priorities, and consistent attention to detail.
- A self-starter mentality with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with diverse stakeholders and audiences.
- Strong computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret accounting information and prepare financial reports.
- Demonstrated success in a deadline-driven environment, including ability to complete projects on schedule with a high standard of quality and ability to prioritize, plan, and execute multiple grants in a timely manner.
- General knowledge of best practices in grant-seeking and fundraising trends.
JRA offers a dynamic and flexible work environment. Part-time hourly rate or salary will be commensurate with experience. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary history or hourly rate, by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
James River Association
211 Rocketts Landing
Richmond, VA 23231
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to resumes received by June 15, 2021. No calls or visits please.
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a full time Event Coordinator to be based at its headquarters office located in Rocketts Landing in Richmond, Virginia.
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a dynamic Event Coordinator to join our team. This position will be responsible for coordinating and executing special events including Westover Lawn Party and Annual Meeting. This role will also lead the coordination of intimate donor cultivation events to support our ongoing efforts around our James Changer Campaign fundraising for capital projects in Richmond, Lynchburg, and Williamsburg. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with key staff and volunteers to facilitate long term planning, execution, logistics and follow up. This position will report to JRA’s Development Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing, implementing, and coordinating timelines for events.
- Providing logistical and operational support to the assigned events.
- Supporting all aspects of on-site coordination including vendors, volunteers, attendees, and staff.
- Assisting in post-events reconciliations with vendors, speakers, facilities, committees, etc.
- Working with internal and external marketing teams to assist with events communication and marketing.
- Preparing event materials, such as nametags, attendee lists, agendas, favors, donor packets and other supplies as needed.
- Providing support to Development Manager and Development Director with event committee meetings and correspondence.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience coordinating special events (including live and silent auctions).
- Thorough proficiency with MS Office.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong customer service background.
- Experience working closely with volunteer committees.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team.
- Willingness to travel throughout watershed to execute events in JRA’s key markets.
- A high level of integrity and discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality and professional composure.
- Special Event planning experience required.
- Knowledge of philanthropy and giving trends with at least 2-years of experience in this field.
- Experience working in a donor database.
- Must possess leadership skills and the ability to resolve conflicts and help with troubleshooting.
- Good at problem solving, meeting deadlines and schedules, and ability to coordinate volunteer committees.
- Strong communications, analytical skills, teamwork, integrity, and reliability.
- Physical requirements – lift and carry a min. of 25 lbs.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings.
- Valid driver license.
JRA offers a dynamic and flexible work environment with a generous and comprehensive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
James River Association
Attn: Kristen Miller
211 Rocketts Way, Suite 200
Richmond, VA 23231
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled, but interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates starting June 7, 2021. Otherwise, no calls or visits, please.