James River Relief
Free Paddle Trips to Hospital Workers
For months, Virginia hospital workers have been challenged like never before, putting their lives on the line and working long hours battling Covid-19. The James River Association wants to thank hospital workers for their time and service by offering them a break to find solace and relaxation on the river through our James River Relief program.
James River Relief will provide paddle trip & rental options to doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff on the frontlines through partnering with several regional outfitters, include Riverside Outfitters and RVA Paddlesports in Richmond, James River Reeling & Rafting in Scottsville, and Rivanna River Company in Charlottesville. The program will also provide trips through JRA’s outfitter, James River Adventures in Lynchburg and through JRA’s Connect with the James programs in Richmond, Hopewell, and James City County.
The initial launch of this program was able to offer river trips to 100 hospital workers as a reprieve from their long hours battling Covid-19. Your donation to this program can help us reach even more.
100 More Trips Available!
The James River Association wants to thank hospital workers for their time and service by offering them a break to find solace and relaxation on the river through our James River Relief program. Thanks to the support of our donors and members, we are able to offer 100 more river trips! If you have already registered for a James River Relief program, please do not register again. In order to offer this program to as many participants as possible, there is a limit to one trip per hospital worker for the 2020 river season.
“The James River Relief Program takes care of those who have been courageously taking care of our communities. Our health care workers have been on the front lines since the beginning of this crisis, and we are deeply grateful for their unwavering dedication to the well-being of Virginians. The mental and physical health benefits of the outdoors will allow these heroes to find healing, solace, and rest after months of stress. I am grateful to the James River Association for their support of the health care community.”Daniel Carey, MD, MHCM
How it Works
- Hospital workers are encouraged to fill out the participant form (link at the bottom of the page) with their contact information, place of employment and outfitter preference. Only one trip per individual will be offered.
- Each of our partner outfitters are offering different opportunities, so please familiarize yourself with each outfitter, their location and their program. Once you have registered, you are unable to switch outfitters.
- Even though we greatly appreciate the services of all essential workers, because of the limited nature of this program, we are only able to offer this opportunity to current hospital workers.
- Many outfitters will allow your family or friends to join you on your trip, but only the registered participant will receive a free or discounted trip.
- Each outfitter may require proof of hospital employment or other documentation.
- After registration, you will receive a confirmation email with a code to use for booking with your chosen outfitter. If you do not receive an email within 48 hours, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This promotion ends July 13, 2020, while spots last. All trips must be booked with your preferred outfitter during the 2020 river season, unless otherwise specified below.
Research the below outfitter programs and fill out the registration form.
Check your email for a booking code.
Visit your preferred outfitter’s website and use your unique code to book your trip at a time convenient to you.
James River Adventures
Madison Heights, VA
A free hourly rental of a kayak, canoe or standup paddleboard.
Rivanna River Company
Choose from a variety of rentals with a discount of $39, which will cover the majority of paddles under tube, kayak, canoe or SUP rental, with gear transport.
Free spot on the “Buy and Ride tubing outing from Huguenot Flatwater to Pony Pasture“. All trips MUST be redeemed by August 14, 2020.
Connect with the James
Richmond, Hopewell, Williamsburg VA
Enjoy a spot on one of our Connect with the James guided paddle trips in Richmond, Hopewell or Williamsburg.
Trips are at a pre-set time and date. The 2020 schedule is available on our website. We are unable to ‘hold’ spaces for friends and family.